Upper abdominal pain still going...

by Maria
(Porterville, Ca)

Hi, I am a 34 year old female. Four months ago It started with nausea which I ended up in the ER bcuz I didn't sleep at all that night and my nausea was really bad. No pain what's so ever.
They did ultrasound and found gallstones. Three months ago I had the surgery to remove my gallbladder and that's when everything started.

I been having the nausea pretty much everyday, upper abdominal pain radiating to my back which last from 3-5 min. I have loose stool my appetite is nothing how it was before which I've lost 10 pounds.

I've gone to ER for this pain but blood work has been normal. I have no fevers, no vomiting, no blood on stools. But I'm tired of feeling sick all the time.

What do you think it could be or should I ask my Dr to check for. And all this started after I had my gallbladder remove which I never had this symptoms before the surgery other than the nausea. I woke up last night with the pain on my upper abdominal lasted like 2 min or so going to my back and it went away. Went to ER again blood lab was done all came out normal.


Dear Maria,

You certainly need more testing to pin point the cause of your continued upper abdominal pain, nausea and weight loss due to reduced appetite.

I am glad that they have done blood works. It though, depends on the individual component of the test that have been done. if you are feeling so nauseated and losing weight, I will make sure that the following are done specifically:

  • Lactate dehydrogenase
  • Liver function test - comprising of ALT, AST, GGT, Bilirubin, etc)
  • Amylase and lipase
  • Urea and Electrolytes or BUNs
  • Complete Blood Count - CBC
  • Thyroid function test
  • TTG for celiac disease
  • H.pylori Urea Breath Test
  • Repeat abdominal ultrasound scan and perhaps an HIDA scan again, despite having had your gallbladder removed.
    You could also be referred again for a upper GI endoscopy to do an EGD to exclude an Hiatus hernia or an ulcer. This is very important.

If the symptoms persists, I would be doing a CT scan of your abdomen or refer you to see a specialist gastroenterologist.

All these test are not what we would do routinely. But because of the severity of your symptoms, which are clearly affecting your everyday life, we need to take things a little further than usual.

Why not have a second chart with your doctor?

Mean while, why not try some ginger chips and magnesium as well as vitamin D supplements you might be able to get from over the counter at a pharmacy near you?

I hope this helps, Maria.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you require any further information.

Family Physician, Emergency Medicine Practitioner and WebMD

Get regular top medical information on a wide range relevant of health issues. Subscribe to our Newsletter here.

Genesis Today Specials - Additional 5% Off on all orders

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Upper Central Abdominal Pain.