ABDOMINAL PAIN CENTRE
Helping You With Info On The Diagnosis And
Treatment Of Causes Of Abdominal Pain & Related Medical Problems
"I have been having really bad pain in my abdominal area just below my
The pain has spread to my right lower abdomen and back.
I have been to
four doctors and have had two CT scans one with barium and the other one
without and one abdominal ultrasound as well. I have also had blood work done.
All tests came back normal. I have been in pain for a month now and no doctor
can figure out the cause", reports a patient. Does that sound like your experience too?
Stomach ache, belly pain, tummy ache or tummy pain are
different names used to describe pain in the abdomen. It is as common "as
the common cold", accounting for one in every twenty visits to doctors and it could be a real pain, often difficult
to diagnose. "There it was, glowing on the computer screen next to
each patient's name, and repeated again, up on the emergency-department
tracking board: "Abd Pn," the abbreviation for abdominal pain. It
appeared again and again , 12 times", reports the TIME
magazine of February 2nd 2011, in the article, "Why Belly Pain Is Such a
Headache for ED Doctors" (italics ours).
No. Not to Emergency Department doctors alone. Diagnosing
the cause of pain in the abdomen could be a real challenge to family doctors
(GPs), gynaecologists, surgeons, paediatricians, urologists, and indeed many
other specialists. This is because the abdomen is a big cavity
containing many different organs. Any infection or injury or abnormal growth in
any one of these organs in the abdomen could cause pain.
Finding The Cause of Your Abdominal Pain
Having Abdominal Pain?
If you suffer with pain in any part of your abdomen that
lasts for more than an hour and it's not getting better, it is important that you do
something about it. This may include taking some simple pain killers like paracetamol or Tylenol. If it
is still not going away, seek medical advice.
Finding and pinpointing the exact cause of pain in the abdomen could be
like finding the proverbial "needle in a hay sac" as explained above.
But this is certainly
possible with the use of "magnets" in the form of obtaining a very focused
history and description of the pain from the sufferer combined with an
examination of the abdomen and well chosen physical tests or investigations.
following are the common causes of abdominal pain in women, men and children.
We would also be taking a look at potentially dangerous causes of acute pain in the abdomen like acute appendicitis, pancreatitis, biliary colic, cholecystitis, gastroenteritis, ectopic pregnancy, abdominal aortic aneurysm, bowel obstruction, kidney stones, cystitis, henoch-schonlein purpura, twisted ovarian cyst, cancer and the non acute causes like constipation, trapped wind, pelvic infection, irritable bowel syndrome (ibs), coeliac disease, ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, endometriosis, sphincter of oddi dysfunction, mentrual pain, mid cycle pain and more.
Tests & Treatment Options Explained
We have also included a "no jargon" explanations of blood tests and scans that are commonly required in the diagnosis of pain in the abdomen, including urine test, and what they mean.
You would be able to understand why your doctor has requested a blood or urine test or scan and what the figures and results they get back actually mean. We have included common blood tests like FBC (CBC), Electrolyte and Urea, Liver functional test, Amylase, CRP, ESR, and many more. Are you having a laparoscopy or keyhole surgery or test?
We have also included detailed information on treatment options for each causes of tummy pain. We believe that you should be fully empowered to understand what is going on inside you and not leave it entirely to your healthcare providers.
Yes. Here at the Abdominal Pain
Centre, we aim: to provide a comprehensive wealth of information free of
charge on causes, recognition, investigations, current treatment options
available and where appropriate, actions that can be taken to prevent abdominal
pain in both men and women and from infancy to old age.
Online Doctors Help Here
Though we are unable to guarantee that we would be able to respond to all queries due to limited resources, we do provide a one-to-one answer to questions or concerns raised relating to abdominal or pelvic pain issues.
Feel free to use our free online medical consultation section to post your questions. We are in the process of developing a premium service where you would be able to get guaranteed answers to your questions. We are committed to helping you unravel the cause of your abdominal pain. That is our joy.
The content of this site is
solely contributed by experienced medical doctors with international
experience, and they strive to base this guide on current best evidence
available in latest medical literature and from their clinical experience
in their day to day medical practice.
We sincerely hope that this
free online resource prove to be useful to you in understanding the causes of pain in
the abdomen , their investigations and treatment options available.
It would prove to be a
useful resource for the curious non-medical reader as well as medical and
health trainees. We regularly update the information here; so please visit
We invite you to subscribe
to our free Newsletter. You can do this by filling in your details on the box above.
Please do not hesitate to
use our free online
doctor consultation service to get seasoned answer to your questions
should you require further information or you could join our Discussion Forum
Last updated: 13th Day of September 2015
Help Keep This Site Going
Donate To Show Your Support
- The Abdominal Pain BlogKeeping You Updated On What Is New On The Site!
- Welcome to the abdominal pain blog. This is where you keep up to date with the latest additions and updates on the abdominal pain site.
- Human Abdomen | Understanding The Abdomen, Organs, Diseases & Treatment
- The human abdomen is the part of the front of our body between the chest and the waist line. It is house to many organs in the abdomen including the liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and bowels.
- Process Of Digestion - How The Digestive Process Works In Humans
- The process of digestion in humans follows an amazingly well organised sequence. The various parts and organs found along the digestive tract play different but important roles.
- What Is Abdominal pain | Understanding The Causes & Treatment Of Stomach Pain
- What is abdominal pain, what are the various causes of pain in the abdomen, how to identify what might be causing your abdominal pain and how to treat the different causes of stomach pain
- Causes of Abdominal Pain | Common Causes of Pain In The Abdomen Explained
- These are the common causes of abdominal pain in all age groups, sex, and regions of the abdomen. Do not let stomach or bowel pain get the better of you. Use our easy guide to diagnosis.
- Upper Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment Of Pain In Upper Stomach
- Upper abdominal pain is often caused by conditions like indigestion, gallstones, gastritis, and stomach ulcer. Other conditions like heart attack or pancreatitis could be the cause...
- Central Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Pain in the middle of your abdomen? Central abdominal pain or "central stomach pain" could be as a result of gastritis, indigestion, trapped wind, constipation, food poisoning, and even appendicitis.
- Lower Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis, And Treatment Options
- Common causes of lower abdominal pain include appendicitis, irritable bowel syndrome, ovarian cyst, diverticulitis, constipation, cystitis, period pain, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease...
- Right Side Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment Options
- Right side abdominal pain is commonly caused by conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, kidney stones, constipation, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst troubles, endometriosis, crohns diseases
- Left Side Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment Options
- See what might be causing your left side abdominal pain here and how to diagnose and treat them. Also see how others a with left sided abdominal pain dealt with theirs
- Abdominal and Back Pain | Causes, Diagnosis and Treament
- Are you suffering with abdominal and back pain? Abdominal or stomach pain that spreads through to the back could be a sign of conditions like stomach ulcer, pancreatitis, or even cystitis, depending
- Female Abdominal Pain | Top Ten Causes of Abdominal Pain In Women
- Causes of male and female abdominal pain are roughly the same, but for the presence of the womb and female reproductive apparatus.
- Abdominal Pain In Pregnancy | Causes of Pains In Pregnancy And Their Treatment
- Abdominal pain in pregnancy can be caused by every other causes of abdominal pain in a normal non-pregnant woman, and due to the following problems associated with pregnancy. Find out more here.
- Abdominal Pain in Children | Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment
- Abdominal pain in children can be caused by medical, and emotional or psychological issues. Common causes of tummy pain in children of all ages include abdominal infections, food intolerance,
- Abdominal Pain Tests | Lab Tests for Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain tests are lab tests to help unravel the cause of abdominal pain. These include blood tests, leaky gut test, food allergy test, lactose intolerance testing, urine test, stool test,
- Abdominal Pain Treatment
- Abdominal pain treatment would depend on the cause of the pain. Generally, treatment of abdominal pain follows the same basic pattern of treament for other medical conditions like...
- Abdominal Pain Medications | Ibs, Pain & Other Medications, Get Them Here!
- Abdominal pain medications available include pain killers like paracetamol, antacid like gaviscon to complex pain medications used in break through pain to specific medications and antibiotics.
- Abdominal Pain Doctor | Find Specialist Doctors On Abdominal Pain Here
- Abdominal pain doctors are those who specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of causes of abdominal pain. Find one of such experts here.
- Online Medical Doctor Consultation | By UK Fully Registered Medical Doctors
- Let our free online medical doctor consultation services provide you with answer to your medical query. Get seasoned online free doctor services here at abdopain.com.
- Online Doctor Service | Discrete Expert Medical Opinion Where & When You Need It
- We provide online doctor services here. You can get a second opinion or seek expert medical advice on a broad range of medical problems online here. This is a fee based services.
- Free Online Doctor : Get Feedback Here
- Free online doctor forum to ask questions on abdominal pain and get response within 24 - 72 hours. Brought to you by qualified doctors from the United Kingdom.
- The Abdominal Pain Blog
- Your one stop point for all causes of abdominal pain...discuss, seek expert medical advice, post comments and suggestions...all at the abdominal pain blog site.
- Abdominal Pain Forum | Post Your Health Question & Get Answers Here
- The abdominal pain forum is your online community where you can find answers to your abdominal, women and men's health problems. Join in and get comments and views from ...
- Abdominal Pain Store - Your Healthcare Store In Association With Amazon.com
- Welcome to the abdominal pain store, in association with Amazon.com. You will be able to browse and get common healthcare medications and equipments for your every day use.
- Donations | Donate To AbdoPain.CoM & Help Keep This Site Going
- You can make donations to this site here to show your support, if you have found the site useful. All Donations are highly appreciated received with immense gratitude.
- Abdopain Weekly Subscription | Your Free Copy of Abdopain Newsletter
- You can now subscribe for the Abdopain Weekly newsletter by filling out the subscription form here.
- About Abdopain | Providing Trusted Medical Information By Doctors For Patients
- Abdopain.com provides trusted medical information for patients, written by doctors experienced in the diagnosis and management of abdominal pain and a wide range of medical problems.
- Contact Us Here At The Abdominal Pain Centre | Abdopain.com
- Contact Us here at the abdominal pain centre for queries, comments or business. We will be glad to hear from you. Abdopain.com.
- Abdominal Pain Link Partners | Bringing You Links Relevant To Abdominal Pain
- Find link partners with abdopain.com here. Do you run a related website, why not partner us by exchanging quality links too?
- Terms and Conditions of Use of Abdopain.com