ABDOMINAL PAIN CENTRE
Helping You With Info On The Diagnosis And
Treatment Of Causes Of Abdominal Pain & Related Medical Problems
"I have been having really bad pain in my abdominal area just below my
sternum. The pain has spread to my right lower abdomen and back.
I have been to
four doctors and have had two CT scans one with barium and the other one
without and one abdominal ultrasound as well. I have also had blood work done.
All tests came back normal. I have been in pain for a month now and no doctor
can figure out the cause", reports a patient.
Stomach ache, belly pain, tummy ache or tummy pain are different names used to describe pain in the abdomen and it could be a
real pain, often difficult to diagnose. "There it was, glowing on the
computer screen next to each patient's name, and repeated again, up on the
emergency-department tracking board: "Abd Pn," the abbreviation for
abdominal pain. It appeared again and again , 12 times", reports the TIME
magazine of February 2nd 2011, in the article, "Why Belly Pain Is Such a
Headache for ED Doctors" (italics ours).
No. Not to Emergency Department doctors alone. Pain in the abdomen remains
one of the most common reasons why people go to see family doctors (GPs), gynecologists, surgeons, urologists, and indeed many other specialists. Abdominal or bowel pain is as common as the common cold, and it is a
frequent cause of misery to millions of children, women and men worldwide on a
Such misery could be made worse if the cause of pain remains elusive
despite visits to the doctor, or inability to find a lasting remedy for the
Is that your experience?
The following are two common causes of abdominal pain and how getting
the diagnosis right, could mean restoring good health and normal quality of life
to the sufferer in good time, or a matter of life and death if there is delay in the diagnosis or worse still, a wrong diagnosis.
Aaron was 12 years old. He developed pain in the upper abdomen one afternoon.
The pain started as a mild ache, but soon became worse over night. By breakfast time the next morning, he hardly could eat anything. He felt like vomiting and was very tired.
By dinner time, the pain had moved over from the upper "stomach" down to the lower right side of the abdomen. Laughing and moving made the pain worse. He had an episode of loose stool. He was given some homemade remedies by mum and asked to go to bed.
At about 4am, he woke up and vomited once. He could not walk without bending forward and with a tilt to the right side. All he wanted to do was lie still in bed.
He was taken to his local hospital and was diagnosed with acute appendicitis.
He was promptly taken to theatre within a few hours of arrival to the hospital by the duty surgeons and operated upon. He was found to have a ruptured appendicitis, with lots of pus inside his abdomen.
Aaron was then kept in hospital longer than is usual for straight forward appendix operation, given antibiotics for days through his vein and then discharged home.
Any further delay or misdiagnosis could have made things worse; it could have lead to an avoidable death from appendicitis, which is a very common cause of abdominal pain.
That is a very typical story for people with appendicitis. It is a very common problem, often very straight forward to diagnose and treat, but could sometimes present serious diagnostic difficulties.
Rosemell is 44 years old. She developed sudden onset severe lower right sided abdominal pain. The pain was continuous, spreads from the lower right abdomen to her back, right hip and then to her upper thigh.
She was given some pain killers, which only took the edge off the pain. She felt like vomiting at a point but did not.
She was taken to the local Emergency department. She was suspected to be having appendicitis. Blood tests done for appendicitis were normal. Her urine test came back normal too. her pregnancy test was also negative. She was admitted over night without any further testing or scanning and was told that she needs to be "observed till the morning".
For some reasons her pain subsided and she was discharged home.
Rosemell returned two days later with severe pain on the right lower abdomen again, and a scan of the abdomen revealed a large twisted ovarian cyst.
She was taken to theater, operated upon and a 11cm x 9 cm twisted cyst was removed from her right ovary.
A more careful and thorough approach would have saved Rosemell the additional agony of having to bear her abdominal pain longer than she had to.
Online Doctors Help Here
True, because of the number of organs in the abdomen, the diagnosis of the cause of a tummy
pain could be difficult. However, a proper understanding of the abdomen, the
structures in each region and how the bowels work could help in reducing the difficulty
in knowing what might be wrong, before turning up to see your doctor.
Do you or your loved one
suffer with chronic abdominal pain? Or are you looking for explanation for the
cause of pain on your right lower abdomen
or on the left
abdomen or indeed anywhere in the abdomen? Are you a lady seeking help
with women health issues like menstrual cramps,
choosing contraceptive pills, pregnancy related matters,
and problems with urinary incontinence and more?
Here at the Abdominal Pain
Centre, we aim: to provide a comprehensive wealth of information free of
charge on causes, recognition, investigations, current treatment options
available and where appropriate, actions that can be taken to prevent abdominal
pain in both men and women and from infancy to old age.
The content of this site is
solely contributed by experienced medical doctors with international
experience, and they strive to base this guide on current best evidence
available in latest medical literature and from their clinical experience
in their day to day medical practice.
We sincerely hope that this
free online resource prove to be useful to you in understanding the causes of pain in
the abdomen , their investigations and treatment options available.
It would prove to be a
useful resource for the curious non-medical reader as well as medical and
health trainees. We regularly update the information here; so please visit
We invite you to subscribe
to our free Newsletter. You can do this by filling in your details on the box above.
Please do not hesitate to
use our free online
doctor consultation service to get seasoned answer to your questions
should you require further information or you could join our Discussion Forum
Last updated: 23 February 2014
- The Abdominal Pain Blog
- Welcome to the abdominal pain blog. This is where you keep up to date with the latest additions and updates on the abdominal pain site.
- Human Abdomen | Understanding The Abdomen, Organs, Diseases & Treatment
- The human abdomen is the part of the front of our body between the chest and the waist line. It is house to many organs in the abdomen including the liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and bowels.
- What Is Abdominal pain | Understanding The Causes & Treatment Of Stomach Pain
- What is abdominal pain, what are the various causes of pain in the abdomen, how to identify what might be causing your abdominal pain and how to treat the different causes of stomach pain
- Causes of Abdominal Pain | Common Causes of Pain In The Abdomen Explained
- These are the common causes of abdominal pain in all age groups, sex, and regions of the abdomen. Do not let stomach or bowel pain get the better of you. Use our easy guide to diagnosis.
- Upper Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment Of Pain In Upper Stomach
- Upper abdominal pain is often caused by conditions like indigestion, gallstones, gastritis, and stomach ulcer. Other conditions like heart attack or pancreatitis could be the cause...
- Central Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Pain in the middle of your abdomen? Central abdominal pain or "central stomach pain" could be as a result of gastritis, indigestion, trapped wind, constipation, food poisoning, and even appendicitis.
- Lower Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis, And Treatment Options
- Common causes of lower abdominal pain include appendicitis, irritable bowel syndrome, ovarian cyst, diverticulitis, constipation, cystitis, period pain, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease...
- Right Side Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment Options
- Right side abdominal pain is commonly caused by conditions such as appendicitis, gallstones, kidney stones, constipation, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst troubles, endometriosis, crohns diseases
- Left Side Abdominal Pain | Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment Options
- See what might be causing your left side abdominal pain here and how to diagnose and treat them. Also see how others a with left sided abdominal pain dealt with theirs
- Abdominal and Back Pain | Causes, Diagnosis and Treament
- Are you suffering with abdominal and back pain? Abdominal or stomach pain that spreads through to the back could be a sign of conditions like stomach ulcer, pancreatitis, or even cystitis, depending
- Female Abdominal Pain: Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment - An Expert Guide.
- Abdominal pain in a woman takes another dimension because of the presence of the uterus and the other female reproductive organs. Female abdominal pain is…
- Abdominal Pain In Pregnancy | Causes of Pains In Pregnancy And Their Treatment
- Abdominal pain in pregnancy can be caused by every other causes of abdominal pain in a normal non-pregnant woman, and due to the following problems associated with pregnancy. Find out more here.
- Abdominal Pain in Children | Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment
- Abdominal pain in children can be caused by medical, and emotional or psychological issues. Common causes of tummy pain in children of all ages include abdominal infections, food intolerance,
- Abdominal Pain Tests | Medical Investigations for Abdominal Pain
- Abdominal pain tests are medical investigations to help unravel the causes of abdominal pain. These include blood tests, urine test, stool test, x-rays, scans and ...
- Abdominal Pain Treatment
- Abdominal pain treatment would depend on the cause of the pain. Generally, treatment of abdominal pain follows the same basic pattern of treament for other medical conditions like...
- Abdominal Pain Medications | Ibs, Pain & Other Medications, Get Them Here!
- Abdominal pain medications available include pain killers like paracetamol, antacid like gaviscon to complex pain medications used in break through pain to specific medications and antibiotics.
- Abdominal Pain Doctor | Find Specialist Doctors On Abdominal Pain Here
- Abdominal pain doctors are those who specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of causes of abdominal pain. Find one of such experts here.
- Online Medical Doctor Consultation | By UK Fully Registered Medical Doctors
- Let our free online medical doctor consultation services provide you with answer to your medical query. Get seasoned online free doctor services here at abdopain.com.
- Online Doctor Service | Discrete Expert Medical Opinion Where & When You Need It
- We provide online doctor services here. You can get a second opinion or seek expert medical advice on a broad range of medical problems online here. This is a fee based services.
- Free Online Doctor : Get Feedback Here
- Free online doctor forum to ask questions on abdominal pain and get response within 24 - 72 hours. Brought to you by qualified doctors from the United Kingdom.
- The Abdominal Pain Blog
- Your one stop point for all causes of abdominal pain...discuss, seek expert medical advice, post comments and suggestions...all at the abdominal pain blog site.
- Abdominal Pain Forum | Post Your Health Question & Get Answers Here
- The abdominal pain forum is your online community where you can find answers to your abdominal, women and men's health problems. Join in and get comments and views from ...
- The Abdominal Pain Store: Meeting All Your Abdominal Medications Need
- Welcome to the Abdominal Pain Store. Get some quick medications for abdominal pain here and more.
- Donations | Donate To AbdoPain.CoM & Help Keep This Site Going
- You can make donations to this site here to show your support, if you have found the site useful. All Donations are highly appreciated received with immense gratitude.
- About Abdopain | Providing Trusted Medical Information By Doctors For Patients
- Abdopain.com provides trusted medical information for patients, written by doctors experienced in the diagnosis and management of abdominal pain and a wide range of medical problems.
- Contact Us Here At The Abdominal Pain Centre | Abdopain.com
- Contact Us here at the abdominal pain centre for queries, comments or business. We will be glad to hear from you. Abdopain.com.
- Abdopain Weekly Subscription | Your Free Copy of Abdopain Newsletter
- You can now subscribe for the Abdopain Weekly newsletter by filling out the subscription form here.
- Abdominal Pain Link Partners | Bringing You Links Relevant To Abdominal Pain
- Find link partners with abdopain.com here. Do you run a related website, why not partner us by exchanging quality links too?
- Terms and Conditions of Use of Abdopain.com